Thursday, October 14, 2010

Adjustments to the Rules

 I took the opportunity last week to "travel by chance" for the first time.  I wanted to test out the "Road Rules" that I had written up so far.  It went pretty well, with a few notable exceptions.

The first exception became apparent pretty early in the "game".  I hardly ever was able to enter the highways because there is not a "decision point" where I could roll the die and follow the number.  Because of that I ended up staying in my general neighborhood, which is not a bad thing.  I think I will have to tweak the rules a bit so that if you pass a highway entrance that trumps everything.  Perhaps I could make that an optional rule for people who want to stay in their own neighborhood.

Another exception is that I discovered if you don't have a "navigator", the driver has to pull over almost constantly to safely roll a loose die.  I was lucky that I was in a residential area on a weekday and there was not too much traffic behind me.  I lost the die a couple of times and, again, I was lucky that I brought the whole tray of dice.  I ended up throwing several throws ahead so I didn't have to stop so often.  I was keeping notes on the throws, otherwise I might have forgotten what the numbers were because the die kept rolling round while I was driving and going over bumpy portions in the road.

Speaking of roads, I added an important rule that says not to go "off the map".  Once I got on the highway I was rolling numbers that would have taken me "off the map", in a rain storm, when it was already getting dark early, and I was by myself!!  This is not safe, and so I will have to tweak the rules a bit to have an alternative rule when this happens.

Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of taking advantage of restrooms when you see them!!  I ended my adventure with a desire to use the restroom.  I knew of a park that had one nearby and so I headed there.  They had a sign posted indicating that they no longer kept the restrooms open on weekdays!!  I ended up at a McDonald's, in the rain, and deciding to end my adventure for the day.

Here are the pictures I posted to my Facebook album.  I will create some entries here on the blog for specific aspects of how to take advantage of what the world offers you when you are "Traveling by Chance".

© 2010 Traveling by Chance

No comments:

Post a Comment